of Internet of Things (IoT) is a growing field of technology with a range of devices, sensors and software coming to market regularly.
Especially with the extremely low connectivity and latency required to operate these networks, many companies are looking for technology experts who can help them manage their IoT infrastructure.
Read on to learn all about the Internet of Things job market and the skill groups needed to get a role in this specialty:
A closer look at the IoT job market
How IoT is used today: Cases of using the Internet of Things (IoT).
The IoT market grew to $ 761.4 billion by 2020 and is expected to reach $ 1.39 trillion by 2026, according to a report by Mordor Intelligence.
IoT technology is growing faster in both industrial and customer-facing environments, such as manufacturing, retail, and healthcare. Manufacturing in particular and the push towards Industry 4.0 are some of the biggest impacts behind IoT (IIoT) industrial growth right now. A large number of IoT solutions have also been created for home and personal use.
As low infrastructure network infrastructure for edge calculation, cloud computing, and 5G expands globally, IoT devices and subsequent solutions are expected to automate more business and internal use cases.
Learn more: The Size and Forecast of the Internet of Things (IoT) Market.
Types of work in the IoT
The IoT job market is diverse and diverse, but most IoT tech workers get jobs where they work with the current IoT framework, IoT applications, or clients who want to implement those solutions.
- IoT Engineer: Ever called an IoT developer, IoT engineering is one of the most comprehensive IoT roles that can focus on everything from developing IoT-based use cases and software to security support.
- IoT Architect: The IoT Architect is primarily responsible for creating and maintaining the current IoT network infrastructure: sensor devices, connectivity, cloud, and software.
- IoT Researcher: Because IoT is a growing and rapidly changing field, IoT researchers are committed to exploring new cases of IoT use as well as security innovations that can support IoT solutions.
- IoT Consultant: The IoT consultant works with external business users, mainly enterprises at this point, to implement IoT solutions in their markets.
Learn more about security roles here: Cyber Security Job Market: Build a Security Career
Education for IoT roles
Most hiring managers for IoT roles are looking for candidates who hold at least a bachelor’s degree in a technical specialty, such as computer science or computer engineering.
Depending on the company and the type of IoT role, they may also require the following education and experience from qualified candidates:
- At least several years of relevant experience in software development; Cloud-based experience is often preferred
- Platform-specific experience, such as AWS
- Machinery Learning (ML), big data, blockchain and artificial intelligence (AI) knowledge; practical experience is preferred
- Industry specific knowledge about Industrial IoT positions
More on IoT and the cloud: How Cloud and Internet of Things (IoT) is used by Dow, DHL Supply Chain, Thermo Fisher, Coca-Cola Icecek and Deep Sky Vineyard: Case Studies
Job openings in IoT
Technology professionals who are interested in working with the Internet of Things can find themselves looking for careers related to the most advanced network technology that focus on areas such as advanced computing and network infrastructure development.
However, for those interested in a specialized role that focuses solely on creating, researching, or maintaining IoT solutions, a number of leading companies are hiring.
Over 13,000 IoT-related jobs are available in the US, according to LinkedIn. Here are some of the roles:
- Internet of Things Engineer
- Associate IIoT Delivery Manager
- IoT software development engineer
- Software engineer for IoT and extreme computing
- IoT Research Manager
- IoT technical program manager
- IoT specialist
- Consultant for IoT activation and client success
Jobs at IoT are almost entirely open to the largest tech companies, according to LinkedIn. Here are some of the companies that offer positions:
Exploring cloud infrastructure careers: Cloud Computing labor market
The average salary in the US for a career in the IoT is $ 118,086 a year, according to a payroll study by ZipRecruiter.
Although many entry-level positions are closer to the national average, the ZipRecruiter study shares the following data regarding the five highest paid jobs in the IoT:
|Job title||Annual salary|
|IoT Engineer||$ 146,984|
|VP and IoT||$ 145,543|
|Architect IoT||$ 132,462|
|IoT solution architect||$ 129,859|
|IoT solution architect||$ 128,604|
Most areas of the globe do not yet have the capabilities of wireless networks to support a large number of IoT devices and use cases, so IoT solutions are often for enterprise-specific use cases where larger companies can connect the connection they need.
But as high speed connection with 5G, including 5G private, is gaining momentum in all corners of the globe, more companies are realizing the automated efficiency that IoT can provide for both employees and customers.
Now is a great time for tech professionals to get in the door for IoT research and development roles where they can lay the groundwork for future use cases. If you are a tech professional who prefers to be a pioneer of new solutions, the IoT job market is a great place to start a tech entrepreneurial career.
Find the IoT software that works best for your business: Best IoT Platforms and Software